Church of San Miguel
Located in the square, the San Miguel Church is, after the Escalante Tower, the oldest building in the town. Erected in 1505 by order of the archbishop of Sevilla Mr Diego de Deza and confirmed by the bull of Julius II in 1510, this building cannot be referred to until the end of the first quarter of the XVI century. Due to this, and until a temple was constructed, the old mosque adjacent to the tower was adopted as church for the Christian masses.
For the location of the church a large area was chosen, outside the wall that surrounded the town, and on croplands. Its construction became a decisive factor in the facilitation of urban expansion towards the southeast. It was set alight during the rebellion of the moors in 1569 and, over the years, has undergone three reformations with the most important ones being in 1715 and 1960.
It has one sole rectangular nave with simple wood framework and a square room which opens up at the end of the epistle. At its head there are vaulted niches with paintings from the XVIII Century.
Of note, as well, are the images of San Miguel, patron of the town, together with others such as the Inmaculada, the Virgen de los Remedios, Virgen de los Dolores, San Antonio, Virgen del Carmen, Un Resucitado and San José.
On its facade of note are the arches which shelter the doors. They consist of a semi-circular arch between pillars, supporting an open triangular pediment to shelter a small temple of the same type. The top has three vaulted niches on the exterior, elevated above street level. The belfry, in the corner, is the most baroque trait of the exterior; it is of triangular shape, formed by two semi-circular arches reinforced by curved pilasters, to accommodate the bells.
The view of the facade, from the square, stands out due to its pale shades covered with decorative bougainvilleas and jasmines, at the same time that its windows and doors covered with the typical Andalucian grilles are also remarkable.
Also of note are the front lamps, as well as the two ceramic murals painted in vivid colours. The front is surrounded with benches in the same structure as the church which provides the traveller with the opportunity to rest and enjoy an atmosphere conducive to chat and conviviality.
- Visiting hours: Open throughout the whole day.